Preparation of Bleaching Power :
- Chlorine gas is produced during electrolysis of aqueous sodium chloride.
- This chlorine gas is used for the manufacture of bleaching powder.
- Bleaching powder is produced by the action of a chlorine on slaked lime.
Uses of Bleaching Power :
- It is used for bleaching cotton and linen in the textile industry for bleaching wood pulp in paper industry for bleaching washed clothes in laundry.
- Used as an oxidizing agent in many chemical industries.
- Used for disinfecting drinking water to make it free of germs.
- Used as a reagent in the preparation of chloroform.