Preparation of Bleaching Power :
1) Chlorine gas is produced during electrolysis of aqueous sodium chloride.
2) This chlorine gas is used for the manufacture of bleaching powder.
3) Bleaching powder is produced by the action of a chlorine on slaked lime.
Uses of Bleaching Power :
1) It is used for bleaching cotton and linen in the textile industry for bleaching wood pulp in paper industry for bleaching washed clothes in laundry.
2) Used as an oxidizing agent in many chemical industries.
3) Used for disinfecting drinking water to make it free of germs.
4) Used as a reagent in the preparation of chloroform.