Describe briefly about the female reproductive system in human beings.
- A pair of ovaries are the reproductive organs in woman.
- They are present just below the kidneys in the abdominal cavity.
- Each ovary has several sac like structures called ovarian follicles or Graffian follicles.
- Every time only one follicle matures and releases one ovum into body cavity.
- Just above the ovaries are the tubes called oviducts or fallopian tubes.
- The two oviducts connect to a bag like organ called uterus at their other ends.
- The uterus is connected through a narrow opening called cervix to another tube called vagina which opens to the outside of the body.
- Vagina is a tubular structure and is also called birth canal because it is through this passage that the baby is born after the completion of development inside the uterus of the mother.