Describe an experiment to demonstrate root pressure in plants.
A. Aim : To demonstrate root pressure in plants.
Apparatus : Potted plant with stem cut, rubber tube, glass tube, clamp.
1) Take a regularly watered potted plant and cut the stem portion 1 cm above the ground level.
2) Then connect a glass tube by means of a strong rubber tubing as shown in the figure.
3) The size of glass tube should be equal to the size of the stem.
4) Take care while joining tube and stem being bound tightly, water cannot escape
. from the tube.
5) Now pour some water in the glass tube until water level can be seen above the rubber tube.
6) Mark the level of water (Mj) in tube.
7) Keep your arrangement aside for 2 to 3
8) Then observe and mark the water level (M2) in the tube.
9) The difference between M2 and Mj indicates the level of water raised.
Observation : There is increase in the level of water raised in the stem.
Result: The raise in the water level is due to the root pressure created in the plant.