Describe an experiment to demonstrate root pressure in plants.
A. Aim : To demonstrate root pressure in plants.
Apparatus : Potted plant with stem cut, rubber tube, glass tube, clamp.
- Take a regularly watered potted plant and cut the stem portion 1 cm above the ground level.
- Then connect a glass tube by means of a strong rubber tubing as shown in the figure.
- The size of glass tube should be equal to the size of the stem.
- Take care while joining tube and stem being bound tightly, water cannot escape
. from the tube.
- Now pour some water in the glass tube until water level can be seen above the rubber tube.
- Mark the level of water (Mj) in tube.
- Keep your arrangement aside for 2 to 3
- Then observe and mark the water level (M2) in the tube.
- The difference between M2 and Mj indicates the level of water raised.
Observation : There is increase in the level of water raised in the stem.
Result: The raise in the water level is due to the root pressure created in the plant.