What were the primary sources for the reconstruction of the event of 1857 ?
Primary sources for reconstructing the event of 1857:
- Proclamations and ishtahars (notifications) issued by rebel leaders to propagate their ideas and persuade people to join the revolt
- The Azamgarh Proclamation, 25 August 1857
- Letters written by the rebels to their famiy members and friends
- Colonial sources which include letters and diaries, autobiographies and official histories.
- Visual sources include British pictures and paintings with the theme of rebellion.