What do you mean by NFWP? Explain the main features of it.
The Government of India has taken some important poverty allevation programmes. National Food for Work Programme (NFWP) is one of them.
The main features of the programme are :
- This programme was launched in 2004 in 150 most backward districts of the country.
- This programme is open to all rural poor who are in need of wage employment and desire to do manual unskilled work.
- It is implemented as a 100% centrally sponsored scheme. Food grains are provided to the states free of cost. The transportation cost, handling charges, and taxes on food grains will, however, be the responsibility of the states.
- Under this scheme, states provide food grains and other essential items instead of wages.
- Later, this scheme was merged with NREGA (National Rural Employment Guarantee Act).