Mention the causes of the defeat of the Marathas:
There were several reasons for the defect of the Marathas in the Anglo Martha wars - The main reasons were:
- Lack of capable leadership.
- Military weakness of the Marathas.
- The major drawback of the Maratha power was mutual bitterness and lack of co-operation amongst themselves.
- The Marathas hardly left any positive impact on the conquered territories.
- The Marathas did not have cordial relations with other princes and Nawabs of India.
- The Marathas failed to estimate correctly the political and diplomatic strength of the British.