How can you say that an election taking place in a country is democratic in nature?
Election is a mechanism by which people can choose their representative at regular intervals and change them if they wish to do so Elections held in a country are said to be democratic in nature if they have the following features:
- Everyone should have one vote and every vote should have equal value in a democratic election.
- All parties and candidates should be free to contest elections and should offer some real choice to the voters.
- The choice should be offered at regular intervals, that means elections must be held regularly after every few years.
- The candidate preferred by the people should get elected.
- Elections should be conducted in a free and fair manner where people can choose according to their wish.