Explain esterification reaction with the help of a chemical equation. Describe an activity to show esterification.
Explain esterification reaction with the help of a chemical equation. Describe an activity to show esterification
- Take 1ml of ethanol and 1ml of glacial acetic acid along with a few drops of concentrated sulphuric acid in a test tube.
- Warm it in a water bath or a beaker containing water for at least five minutes.
- Pour the warm contents into a beaker containing 20 - 25 ml of water and observe the odour of the resulting mixture.
- We will notice that the resulting mixture is a sweet odoured substance.
- This substance is nothing but ethyl acetate, An ester.
- This reaction is called Esterification Reaction.