Describe the location of India on the world panorama.
The location of India on world panorama can be described in the following points :
- India is the seventh largest country in the world after Russia, Canada, China, USA, Brazil and Australia.
- It lies entirely in the Northern hemisphere.
- The mainland extends between 8°4’ N and 37°6’ N latitudes and between 68°7’ E and 97°25’ E longitudes.
- The island groups of Andaman and Nicobar islands and Lakshadweep islands, together make up the Indian union.
- The Tropic of Cancer (23° 30’ N) passes through the approximate center dividing the country into almost two equal parts. India’s total area accounts for about 2.4 per cent of the total geographical area of the world. The land of India has an area of 3.28 million sq km.