Write the experiment of bell jar and pudina plant, performed by Priestley to prove that air plays key role in Phot.osynthesis
A. 1) Joseph Priestly in 1770 performed a series of experiments that revealed the essen- tied role of air in the growth of green plants.
2) Priestly discovered oxygen in 1774.
3) Priestly observed that a candle burning in a closed space, a bell jar, soon gets extinguished
4) Similarly, a mouse would soon suffocate in a closed space of the bell jar.
5) He concluded that a burning candle or an animal, both somehow, damage air.
6) But when he placed a mint plant in the same bell jars, he found that the mouse
stayed alive and the candle when lighted from outside continued burning in the presence of the mint plant. •
7) Priestly hypothesized as plants restore to the air whatever breathing animals and burning candles remove.