Aim : To show the reaction of bases with metals.
Required Materials : 1. Test tube 2. Delivery tube 3. Glass trough 4. Candle
5. Soap water 6. Sodium hydroxide (NaOH) solution 7. Zinc granules.
- Set the apparatus as shown in figure.
- Take about 10 ml of dilute sodium hydroxide (NaOH) solution in a test tube.
- Add a few granules of zinc metal to it.
- Worn the contents of the test tube, tie up the bag tightly and keep it over night in the fridge.
Observation : Check the odours of the cloth strips.
Result: It is used as the acid indicator.
Note : However, such reactions are not possible with all metals.