Aim : To show the reaction of bases with metals.
Required Materials : 1. Test tube 2. Delivery tube 3. Glass trough 4. Candle
5. Soap water 6. Sodium hydroxide (NaOH) solution 7. Zinc granules.
1) Set the apparatus as shown in figure.
2) Take about 10 ml of dilute sodium hydroxide (NaOH) solution in a test tube.
3) Add a few granules of zinc metal to it.
4) Worn the contents of the test tube, tie up the bag tightly and keep it over night in the fridge.
Observation : Check the odours of the cloth strips.
Result: It is used as the acid indicator.
Note : However, such reactions are not possible with all metals.