Write an activity to show that synthetic fibres are stronger than the cotton fibres.
- Take an iron stand with a clamp and a cotton thread of about 65 cm length.
- Tie the thread to the clamp so that it hangs freely as shown in figure.
- At the free end suspend a pan so that weight can be placed in it.
- Add weight one by one till the thread breaks.
- Note down the total weight required to break the thread. This weight indicates the strength of the fibre.
- Repeat the same activity with threads of wool, silk and nylon.
You will observe that the weight required to break the threads of wool, silk and^nylon is more than cotton. So, synthetic fibres are stronger than cotton.