Aim : To show that all metal carbonates and hydrogen carbonates react with acids to give a corresponding salt.
Required Materials :
1) Two test tubes
2) Sodium carbonate
3) Sodium hydrogen carbonate
4) Two holed rubber stopper
5) Thistle funnel
7) Dilute hydrochloric acid
8) Delivery tube
9) Calcium carbonate (in a test tube)
1) Take a test tube A with 0.5 gm of sodium carbonate.
2) Close the test tube A with two holed rubber stopper.
3) Insert a thistle funnel through one hole and insert a delivery tube through the other hole.
4) Pour 2ml of dilute HCl to the test tube A.
5) Do the same as above with test tube B with sodium hydrogen carbonate. Observation : Carbon dioxide is released from test tube A and B.
Result: All metal carbonates and hydrogen carbonates react with acids to give a corresponding salt.