- The Second World War was fought between the Axis powers (mainly Germany, Japan and Italy) and the Allies (Britain, France, the Soviet Union and the US).
- It was a war waged for six years on many fronts, in many places over land, on the sea and in the air.
- About 3 per cent of the world’s population was believed to have been killed directly or indirectly, as a result of the war. Millions were injured.
- Vast parts of Europe and Asia were devastated and several cities were destroyed by aerial bombardment or artillery attacks.
- The war caused an immense amount of economic devastation and social disruption.