What is the role of diaphragm and ribs id respiration ? Are both active in man and woman ?
- Diaphragm is a muscular dome shaped tissue present at the floor of the chest cavity separating ab¬domen from respiratory system.
- Diaphragm expands downwards into the abdomen thus increasing chest cavity. This allows the lungs to expand as we inhale.
- As the diaphragm contracts up¬wards thus decreasing the chest cavity, it allows the air to expel from the lungs.
- The ribs protect the lungs and expand as we inhale to facilitate space for the lungs to expand. The ribs then contract expelling the air in the lungs.
- The intercostal muscles present between the ribs help in contraction and relax¬ation of ribs. .
- In man, diaphragm plays a major role in the respiration, while in woman, the ribs play a major role.