What is the function of peristalsis in these parts ?
a) Oesophagus b) Stomach c) Small intestine d) Large intestine
A. a) Oesophagus:
Peristalsis helps in pushing the food, down the oesophagus into the stomach.
1) Peristalsis helps in storing food, breaking down food down and mixing it with juices secreted by stomach lining.
2) Peristalsis in stomach helps in partial digestion of food called chyme.
c) Small intestine :
1) Peristalsis pushes the digesting food through small intestine.
2) It helps to mix the chyme to help in the digestive process.
3) Peristalsis also helps in absorbing nutrients from the digesting food into the blood.
d) Large intestine :
Peristaltic movements help to propel feces along the large intestine through colon, to the rectum for expulsion from the body.