What is mastication? Explain the role of different sets of teeth in this process.
A. Mastication : Mastication or chewing is the process by which food is crushed and
ground by teeth. It is the first stage in digestion process.
Role of different sets of teeth in mastication :
1) There are four types of teeth in human beings. They are ' Incisors, Canines, Premolars and Molars each for a specific
2) Incisors are eight in number and they help the food to bite or cut.
3) Canines are four in number and these are used for tearing the food.
4) Eight premolars are present in our mouth and they are used for chewing and grinding food.
5) Molars are eight in number and they are also used for chewing and grinding food.