What factors led to the beginning of the ‘Consumer Movement’ in India?
- The consumer movement arose out of dissatisfaction of the consumers as many unfair practices were being indulged in by sellers.
- There was no legal system available to consumers to protect themselves from exploitation in the marketplace.
- It was presumed that it was the responsibility of the consumers to be careful while buying a commodity or service.
- It took many years for organisations in India and around the world to create awareness among-st people.
- This has also shifted the responsibility of ensuring the quality of goods and services onto the sellers.