what are the different ways in which glucose is oxidised to provide energy in various organisms ? Give one example of each.
A. ) Glucose is the most commonly used sugar for deriving energy in plants, animals and in micro-organisms.
2) In all these organisms glucose is oxidised in two stages.
3) The first stage is known as Glycolysis. It occurs in cytoplasm.
4) During glycolysis glucose is converted to two molecules of pyruvic acid.
5) In the second stage, if oxygen is available pyruvic acid is converted to C02 and water, large amount of energy is released. This is known as aerobic respiration. In most of the plant and animal cells aerobic respiration occurs.
6) If oxygen is inadequate or not available, pyruvic acid is converted into ethanol and carbon dioxide. This is anaerobic