The different documents related to shipment are as follows:
1. Shipping bill: It is the main document on the basis of which permission is granted for the export of goods by the customs office. It contains full details regarding the goods being exported, name of the vessel, exporter's name and address, country of final destination, etc.
2. Mate's receipt: This receipt is issued by the captain or mate of the ship to the exporter after the goods are loaded on board. It contains the name of the vessel, description of packages, marks, conditions of the cargo at the time of receipt, on board the , ship, etc. The bill of lading is not issued by the shipping company unless it receives the mate's receipt.
3. Bill of lading : It is a document issued by the shipping company. It acts as an evidence regarding the acceptance of the shipping company to carry the goods to the port of destination. It is also referred to as document of title to the goods and is freely transferable by endorsement and delivery.
4. Airway bill: An airway bill is a document issued
by the airline company on receiving the goods on board its aircraft and at the same time giving its acceptance to carry them to the port of destination. It is also referred to as document of title to the goods and is freely transferable by endorsement and delivery. 5.Cart ticket: It is also known as cart chit or gate pass.It is prepared by the exporter. It contains details regarding export cargo like number of packages,
shipping bill number, port of destination, etc.
6. Marine insurance policy : It is a document containing a contract between the exporter and the insurance company to indemnify the insured against the loss incurred by the insured in respect of goods exposed to the perils of the sea transit in consideration of a payment called premium.