What are the common sports injuries and their preventions in the sports of swimming?
Common Sports Injuries :
Common sports injuries related to swimming are as follows :
- Incidents of drowning, specially the novice swimmers.
- Dislocation of joints and fractures in lower extermities due to slippery floors.
- Strain in hamstring or thigh muscles.
- Sprain ankle and knee, muscle cramp and painful shoulder injury.
- Ear injuries may be due to entry of water into ears.
- Eyes injury may be due to falling foreign particles in the eyes.
Sports injuries are very common in the sports of swimming. These injuries cannot be checked completely but can be minimised or prevented by laying stress on :
- Use periods of rest to recover
- Consider alternative training techniques rather than training through an injury
- Perform core strengthening and cross training exercises as part of pre and early season routines
- Lessen repetitive strokes that are causing the overuse injury .
- Use good stroke technique
- Communication among athlete, parent,coach, and medical professional is critical to both injury prevention and successful recovery