What are the characteristics of kingdom Monera?
Following are the characteristics of kingdom Monera:
- The organisms do not possess a clearly defined nucleus, i.e., the nucleus is not enclosed by a nuclear membrane.
- Cell organelles are also not covered with a membrane.
- Organisms are unicellular, microscopic prokaryotes living in moist conditions.
- Cell wall may or may not be present.
- The mode of nutrition may be autotrophic or heterotrophic.
- Reproduction is primarily asexual by binary fission or budding.