Raju said, “Steins also respire along with leaves in plants”. Can you support this statement ? Give your reasons.
A. Yes. I support the statement of Raju that stems also respire along with leaves in plants.
The reasons are
- The stems of herbaceous plants have stomata.
- So the exchange of respiratory gases in the stems of herbaceous plants takes place through stomata.
- The oxygen from air diffuses into the stem through stomata and reaches all the
cells for respiration. .
- The carbon dioxide released due to respiration diffuses out into the air through the stomata.
- In woody stems the bark has lenticels for gaseous exchange. Through lenticels oxygen diffuses in and carbon dioxide diffuses out into the air.