Raju said, “Steins also respire along with leaves in plants”. Can you support this statement ? Give your reasons.
A. Yes. I support the statement of Raju that stems also respire along with leaves in plants.
The reasons are
1) The stems of herbaceous plants have stomata.
2) So the exchange of respiratory gases in the stems of herbaceous plants takes place through stomata.
3) The oxygen from air diffuses into the stem through stomata and reaches all the
cells for respiration. .
4) The carbon dioxide released due to respiration diffuses out into the air through the stomata.
5) In woody stems the bark has lenticels for gaseous exchange. Through lenticels oxygen diffuses in and carbon dioxide diffuses out into the air.