Radhika is a student of class X. Her mother was making tea in an old electric kettle


#1

Radhika is a student of class X. Her mother was making tea in an old electric kettle having metal case. When she switched on the power supply to the electric kettle. She got a severe electric shock. Radhika put off the main switch quickly and found that the connecting cord was torn where her mother touched the metal case of the kettle. She also found that the red and black wires of connecting cord were firmly connected to the two lower terminals of the power plug but the green wire of cord was not connected to the upper terminal of the plug. Radhika replaced the torn connecting cord and also connected to the three wires of cord firmly to the power plug terminals.
On the basis of the above passage, answer the following questions.
(i) Why did Radhika put off the main switch quickly?
(ii) Which wire red, black or green, touched the metal case of electric kettle when Radhika’s mother got electric shock?
(iii) What values are displayed by Radhika in this incident?


#2

(i) Radhika put off the main switch to cut-off the electricity supply to faulty kettle to save her mother.
(ii) Red wire which is at high potential of 220 V was touching the metal case of electric kettle.
(iii) The values displayed by Radhika are
(a) presence of mind
(b) concern for her mother
© knowledge of household wiring and daily life activities.