On what basis are social differences created?
Based on accident of birth:
- Normally, we don’t choose to belong to one community. We belong to it simply because we were born into it.
- We all experience social differences based on accident of birth in our everyday lives.
Based on physical abilities or disabilities:
- There is discrimination based on gender; some are tall or short, have different kinds of complexions or have different physical abilities or disabilities.
- All kinds of social differences are not based on accident of birth.
Differences based on choices:
- Some people are atheists, they do not believe in God or any religion.
- While some people choose to follow a religion other than the one in which they were born into.
- Most of us choose what to study, which occupation to take up and which games or cultural activities to take part in.
All these lead to the formation of social groups that are based on our choices.