Nationalism in Europe- The Balkans:
- During this period nationalist groups become increasingly intolerant of each other.
- Manipulations of the nationalist aspirations were there.
- The Balkan was under the control of the ottoman empire.
- Ideas of romantic nationalism spread in the Balkan.
- They claimed for independence or political rights on nationality and subjected foreign domination.
- Russia, Germany, England, Austria-hungry were keen on countering the hold of other powers over the Balkans.
- This led to a series of wars in the region and finally the First World War.