List out the sphincter muscles of the food canal you have observed and give a briefdescription.
A. 1) a) The sphincters that are present in the food canal are Esophased sphincter, Cardiac sphincter, Pyloric sphincter, Anal sphincter and Ileocecal valve or sphincter, b) Esophageal sphincter allows entry of bolus into the oesophagus. It also reduces back flow from the oesophagus to pharynx.
2) Cardiac sphincter is present where the oesophagus meets the stomach. From its location, almost directly in front of the heart.
3) Pyloric sphincter is present at the opening called the pylorus, located at the end of the stomach, at the connection between stomach and small intestine.
4) Pyloric sphincter allows only small quantities of food into duodenum at a time.
5) Anal sphincter is located at the anus, which marks the end of the digestive tract.
6) The release of waste from the rectum is controlled partly, voluntarily by anal
sphincter located at the anus.
7) The ileocecal valve is a sphincter muscle situated at the junction of the small intes¬tine (ileum) and the large intestine (colon).
8) It’s critical function is to limit the reflux of colonic contents into the ileum.