List out the organs/systems involved in the process of digestion and explain briefly
. Organs/Systems involved in the process of digestion are mouth, oesophagus, stomach,
duodenum, small intestine, pancreas, liver, gall bladder, large intestine and anus.
1. Teeth, tongue and salivary glands are involved in the digestion of mouth.
2. Salivary gland secrets saliva which has Amylase enzyme.
3. It acts on starch and converted into glucose.
2) Oesophagus: By means of peristalsis the oesophagifs delivers food to the stomach.
1. In the stomach gastric juice secreted by gastric glands contains HC/, pepsin and mucus.
2. HC/ Kills bacteria in the food.
3. Pepsin digests proteins and mucus protects the inner lining of the stomach from the corrosive action of HC/.
1. Major part of digestion takes place here. Because liver and pancreas glands are
opened into duodenum. .
2. Liver secrets bile juice which helps in fats emulsification.
3. Pancreas secrets pancreatic juice which have amylase, tripsin and lipase.
5) Small Intestine:
1. Digestion is completed here; and end products are absorbed into blood.
2. Small intestine has intestinal gland, which have peptidases and sucrose enzymes which acts on proteins and sugars.
6. Large intestine :
1. Absorbs water from undigested food, producing faeces. '
2. Faecal matter is temporarily stored in the rectum of the large intestine.
Anus : Undigested food material is sent out of the body through anus.