List out the organs/systems involved in the process of digestion and explain briefly
. Organs/Systems involved in the process of digestion are mouth, oesophagus, stomach,
duodenum, small intestine, pancreas, liver, gall bladder, large intestine and anus.
- Teeth, tongue and salivary glands are involved in the digestion of mouth.
- Salivary gland secrets saliva which has Amylase enzyme.
- It acts on starch and converted into glucose.
2) Oesophagus: By means of peristalsis the oesophagifs delivers food to the stomach.
- In the stomach gastric juice secreted by gastric glands contains HC/, pepsin and mucus.
- HC/ Kills bacteria in the food.
- Pepsin digests proteins and mucus protects the inner lining of the stomach from the corrosive action of HC/.
- Major part of digestion takes place here. Because liver and pancreas glands are
opened into duodenum. .
- Liver secrets bile juice which helps in fats emulsification.
- Pancreas secrets pancreatic juice which have amylase, tripsin and lipase.
5) Small Intestine:
- Digestion is completed here; and end products are absorbed into blood.
- Small intestine has intestinal gland, which have peptidases and sucrose enzymes which acts on proteins and sugars.
6. Large intestine :
- Absorbs water from undigested food, producing faeces. ’
- Faecal matter is temporarily stored in the rectum of the large intestine.
Anus : Undigested food material is sent out of the body through anus.