How was Nationalist Congress Party formed? What are its policies?
- It was formed in 1999 following a split in the Congress Party.
- It supports democracy, Gandhian secularism, equality, social justice and federalism.
- It wants that high offices in government should be confined to natural born citizens of the country.
- A major party in Maharashtra and has a significant presence in Meghalaya, Manipur and Assam.
- It’s a coalition partner in Maharashtra government with Congress.
- Since 2004, it is also a member of United Progressive Alliance (UPA) government.