The female figures as an allegory of the nation:
- Artists found a way out to represent a country in the form of a person.
- Then nations were portrayed as female figures.
- The female figure was chosen to personify the nation did not stand for any particular woman in real life.
- It gave the abstract idea of the nation a concrete form.
- Thus, the female figure became an allegory of the nation.
- During the French Revolution artists used the formal allegory to portray idea such as Liberty, Justice and the Republic.