How do roadways score over railways in India?
Roadways score over railways due to the following reasons:
- Construction cost of roads is much lower than that of railway lines.
- Roads can traverse comparatively in more dissected and undulating topography.
- Roads can negotiate higher gradients of slopes and as such can traverse mountains such as the Himalayas.
- Road transport is economical in the transportation of few persons and relatively small amounts of goods over short distances.
- It also provides door-to-door service. Thus, the cost of loading and unloading is much lower.
- Road transport is also used as a feeder to other modes of transport such as they provide link between railway stations, air and sea ports.