How did India aim at self-sufficiency in food grains after independence?
- After independence, the Indian policy makers adopted all measures to achieve self¬sufficiency.
- India has adopted a new strategy in agriculture called the ‘Green Revolution’, which is introduced in the production of rice and wheat.
- Indira Gandhi, the then Prime Minister of India officially recorded the success of the Green Revolution by releasing a special stamp entitled ‘Wheat Revolution’.
- The success of wheat was later replicated in rice.
- The highest rate of growth was achieved in Punjab and Haryana where foodgrains production jumped to an all-time high.
- Tamil Nadu and Andhra Pradesh on the other hand, recorded significant increase in rice yield.