Give main characteristics of the Ganga River System.
- The headquarters of the Ganga called the ‘Bhagirathi’ is fed by the Gangotri Glacier and joined by Alkananda at Devaprayag in Uttarakhand.
- At Haridwar, the Ganga emerges from the mountains on to the plains.
- Its tributaries flood parts of the northern plains every year, causing widespread damage to life and property but enriching the soil for the extensive agricultural lands.
- Enlarged with the waters from its right and left bank tributaries, the Ganga flows eastward till Farakka in West Bengal. This is the northern most point of Ganga Delta.
- The mainstream flows southwards into Bangladesh and is joined by the Brahmaputra. This mighty river along with Brahmaputra flows into the Bay of Bengal and the delta formed by these rivers is known as Sunderban delta.