- Give any two reasons for the infertility among young couples.
- Test-tube baby programme is a boon to such couples. Explain the steps followed in the procedure.
- The reasons for infertility could be physical, congential, diseases, drugs, immunological or psychological.
- In this method, ova from the wife/donor and sperms from the husband/donor are collected and are induced to form zygote under simulated conditions in the laboratory. This is followed by Embryo transfer(ET). It is 2 types :
- Zygote Intra Fallopian Transfer(ZIFT) : Transfer of zygote or early embryos into fallopian tube.
- Intra Uterine Transfer(IUT) : Transfer of embryos with more than 8 blastomeres into the uterus.
Embryo formed by in vivo fertilisation is also used for such transfer to assist those females who cannot conceive.