Give a brief account of manuscripts of India.
How were ideas and information written before the age of print in India?
- India had a very rich and old tradition of handwritten manuscripts—in Sanskrit, Arabic, Persian as well as in various vernacular languages.
- Manuscripts were copied on palm leaves or on hand-made paper.
- Pages were sometimes beautifully illustrated. They would be either pressed between wooden covers or sewn together to ensure preservation.
- Manuscripts continued to be produced till well after the introduction of print, down to the late 19th century.
- Manuscripts were highly expensive and fragile. They had to be handled carefully.