- US entry into the war proved costly to the Vietnamese as well as to the Americans.
- They remained in Vietnam from 1965 to 1972.
- Thousands of US troops arrived with heavy weapons and tanks and were backed by the most powerful bombers of the time—B52.
- They used Chemical weapons—Napalm, Agent Orange and Phosphorus bombs to destroy Vietnamese villages.
- The US wanted to establish a democratic government in Vietnam.
- The US watched the unification of North & South Taiwan with fear. It did not want the communist to gain power so it intervened.