Explain the process of transport of mineral salts.
A. 1) Mineral salts are necessary for plant nutrition and that they are obtained from the soil in solution through the root hairs.
2) The salts are in the form of electrically charged ions.
3) Sodium chloride (NaCl) is in the form of Na+ and C/~ and Magnesium Sulphate (MgSO^ occurs as Mg2 + and SO4
4) But, they are not absorbed into the root hairs by the simple process of diffusion, but it must involve the use of energy by the cytoplasm.
5) Once ions are absorbed, the. ions travel with water in the xylem vessels and pass to the growing parts of the plants where they are used for growth.
6) They may also pass laterally from xylem to phloem.