- Collection of variability / germplasm collection, collection and preservation of all different wild varieties, species and relatives of cultivated species / entire collection of plants.
- Evaluation and selection of parents, to identify plant with desirable combination of character / purelines are created.
- Cross hybridization among selected parents, cross hybridizing the two parents to produce hybrids.
- Selection and testing of superior recombinants, selection among the progeny of the hybrids that have desired character combinations, superior to both the parents / self pollinated for several generations.
- Testing, release and commercialisation of new cultivars, newly selected lines are evaluated for yield / other agronomic traits of quality / disease resistance in research feels followed by testing the material in farmers fields.