Explain the following principles of management given by Fayol

Explain the following principles of management given by Fayol.
(i) Unity of Direction
(ii) Equity
(iii) Esprit De Corps
(iv) Order
(v) Centralization and Decentralization
(vi) Initiative

(i) Unity of Direction
It implies that there should be one head and one plan for a group of activities having the same objective. In other words, the related activities should be put under one group, there should be one plan of action for them and they should be in the control of one manager. This ensures unity of action and coordination.

(ii) Equity :
This principle emphasises kindliness and justice in the behaviour of managers towards workers.-It will bring loyalty and devotion in the behaviour of employees and they will put their best to achieve the targets.
There should be no discrimination against anyone on account of sex, religion, language, caste or belief and equal opportunities should be available for all.

(iii) Esprit De Corps
It means union is strength. Fayol emphasized on team work. He suggested that every employee must consider himself as a part of team. This spirit brings harmony in the groups and they strive to work hard to achieve the targets of an organisation.
For this, managers should replace ‘I’ with ‘We’ in all his conversations.

(iv) Order
As per this principle, there should be an orderly arrangement of men and material which implies that t there is a fixed place for everything and everyone in the organisation.
A place for everything, called material order, and a place for everyone, called social order, ensures that there is no hindrance in the activity going on in the organisation.

(v) Centralization and Decentralization
The concentration of decision-making authority is called centralization whereas its dispersal among more than one person is known as decentralization. According to Fayol, an organisation should strive to achieve a proper balance between centralization and decentralization according to size of organisation, ability of superiors, ability of subordinates, etc.

(vi) Initiative
Fayol suggested that employees at all levels should take initiatives or actions without any force or boundations. They should be encouraged to develop and carry out plans for improvements. Initiative means taking the first step with self-motivation.