Explain the external features of kidney in human beings.
A. 1) In human beings, there are a pair of bean shaped, reddish-brown structures in the abdominal cavity attached to dorsal body wall one on either side of the backbone.
2) The size of the kidney is 10 cm in length, 5—6 cm in breadth, and 4 cm in thickness.
3) Each kidney is convex on the outer side and concave on the inner side.
4) The position of the right kidney is lower than the left kidney due to the presence of liver above.
5) The inner side of each kidney has a fissure or hilus
for the entry of a renal artery, exit of a renal vein and an ureter. .
6) Renal artery brings oxygenated blood loaded with waste products and renal vein carries deoxygenated blood.