1) Take a thin wooden plank and cover it with white paper.
2) .Make two holes to the plank and pass a copper wire through the holes so that 4 to 5 wounds of copper wire makes it as a coil.
3) The ends of the wire is connected to the battery terminals.
4) Now place a compass needle at the centre of the coil.
5) Put dots on either side of the compass. Repeat this by keeping at the dots. We can observe that field lines are circular.
6) Here the direction of the field is perpendicular to the plane of the coil.
7) The direction of the magnetic field due to coil points towards you when the current in the coil is in anti-clockwise direction.
8) When you curl your right hand fingers in the direction of current, thumb gives the direction of magnetic field.