During the journey of food from mouth to stomach through oesophagus. How muscular system coordinate in this process ?
Muscular movement in mouth :
- The muscular system coordinates the journey of food from mouth to stomach through oesophagus.
- The circular muscles of the mouth enable the food to be pushed into the oral cavity and to be moved around.
- The surface muscles of the jaw help in biting and chewing actions.
- The wall of the oesophagus is made up of two kinds of smooth muscles.
- The inner layer consists of circular muscles and the outer layer of longitudinal
- Contraction and relaxation of circular and longitudinal muscles bring in a wave like motion that propels the food into stomach by the action called as peristalsis.
- Peristalsis is involuntary and under the control of autonomous nervous system.
- The muscle of the upper part of stomach relaxes to accept large volumes of swallowed food. Thus muscular system in mouth and oesophagus helps the food to reach from mouth to stomach through oesophagus.