The Constitutional Amendment of 1992 introduced the concrete shape of decentralisation.
The three tiers of democracy have been made more effective. The provisions of Constitutional Amendment are as follows:
• To hold regular elections to the local government bodies has been made compulsory.
• Reservation of seats for scheduled castes, scheduled tribes and other backward classes in the elected bodies.
• One third i.e., 33 per cent seats to be reserved for women.
• To conduct election for the local government bodies at rural and urban level, State Election Commission, an independent institution, has been constituted.
• The state governments are required to share some powers and revenue with local government bodies.
Thus after the Constitutional Amendment of 1992, the concept of decentralisation in the federal power sharing has become more democratic.