Differentiate between Horizontal division of powers and vertical division of powers

Difference between Horizontal division of powers and Vertical division of powers.
Horizontal Division of Powers
(i) Horizontal Division of powers is such a power sharing arrangement in which power is shared , among different organs of government as, legislature, executive and judiciary.
(ii) In horizontal division of powers, different organs of government exercise different powers, i.e., there is a concept of separation of powers.
(iii) Horizontal distribution specifies the concept of checks and balances in order to check the exercises of unlimited powers of the organs.
(iv) Horizontal distribution of power ensures the concept of the expansion of democracy.
Vertical Divisions of Powers
(i) In Vertical Division of powers, power can be shared among governments at different levels like union, state and local levels of such government, i.e., it involves higher and lower levels of government.
(ii) Whereas, in vertical division of powers, constitution clearly lays down the powers of different levels of government.
(iii) But, there is no such concept of checks and balances in the vertical Division because powers are clearly given by the constitution from the higher level to the lower level.
(iv) Vertical division of powers promotes the concept of deepening of democracy.

1 Like