Components of Health Related Fitness :
There are following components of health related fitness :
- Body Composition
- Cardio-respiratory Endurance
- Muscular Endurance
- Muscular Strength
- Body Composition: The body composition means the amount of fat-free body weight. It is well known that a high percentage of body fat in relation to the total body weight is harmful and may lead to obesity. From the health point of view, the normal percentage of body fat for young men and women should not exceed 15 and 25 per cent, respectively. Various methods for measuring body composition can be used by individuals, such as under water weighing, skin fold measurements and anthropometric measurements. It means that for health related fitness an individual should have ideal body weight and fat percentage.
- Cardio-respiratory Endurance : It is the maximum functional capacity of the Cardio-respiratory system to carry on the work or physical activity involving large muscle group over an extended period.
- Flexibility : Flexibility is an important component of health related fitness. It is the range of movements of joints. It is important for all individuals in daily life. It can be classified into : passive flexibility and active flexibility. Active flexibility can be further classified into : static flexibility and dynamic flexibility.
- Muscular Endurance : Muscular endurance is the ability of a muscle or muscle group to repeat muscular contractions against a force or to carry on contraction over a maximum period.
- Muscular Strength : Muscular strength is the maximum amount of force that can be exerted against some form of resistance in a single effort.