Describe the structure of human lungs with the help of a diagram.
1) A pair of lungs is present in the chest cavity one on either side of the heart.
2) Lungs are spongy and elastic and are enclosed by two membranes called pleura.
3) Space between the two membranes of pleura is filled with fluid. Pleura protects the lungs from injury.
4) Right lung is larger than the left lung.
5) Right lung is made of three lobes while the left lung has only two lobes.
6) Lung has several thousands of alveoli which are supplied with blood capillaries.
7) Pulmonary artery brings deoxygenated blood from heart to lungs.
8) After entering the lung, this artery divides into several arterioles and capillaries
and supplies deoxygenated blood to alveoli. .
9) Gas exchange occurs in the alveoli.
10) Oxygenated blood is carried from the lung to heart by the pulmonary vein.