Describe the structure of brain.
- Proportionate to the body size, the human brain is the largest of all animals.
- The brain is present in the hard bony box like structure called cranium.
- It is covered by three layers called the meninges. The meninges are continued and cover the spinal cord as well.
- The space between the inner layers is filled with fluid called cerebro - spinal fluid.
- It serves as a shock - absorbing medium and protects the brain against shocks / jerks along with meninges and cranium.
- The nerve cell bodies together with capillaries form a mass called grey matter while the myelinated axons form white matter.
- The grey matter is in the outer layers while the white matter is present towards inner layers.