Describe the structure of brain.
1) Proportionate to the body size, the human brain is the largest of all animals.
2) The brain is present in the hard bony box like structure called cranium.
3) It is covered by three layers called the meninges. The meninges are continued and cover the spinal cord as well.
4) The space between the inner layers is filled with fluid called cerebro - spinal fluid.
5) It serves as a shock - absorbing medium and protects the brain against shocks / jerks along with meninges and cranium.
6) The nerve cell bodies together with capillaries form a mass called grey matter while the myelinated axons form white matter.
7) The grey matter is in the outer layers while the white matter is present towards inner layers.