Describe the policy of government in the field of education.
According to National Education Policy, 1986, the government considers human resource, a positive asset which needs to be cherished, nurtured and developed. Following efforts are made for the same:
- Education contributes towards the growth of society. It enhances the national efficiency of governance.
- There is a provision made for providing universal access, retention and quality in elementary education with special emphasis on girl-education.
- There is also an establishment of pace setting of schools like Navodaya Vidyalaya in each district.
- Vocational streams have been developed to equip large number of high school students with occupations related to knowledge and skills.
- The plan outlay on education has increased from ? 151 crore in the first plan to 43,825 crore in the tenth Plan. Literacy rate has increased from 18% in 1951 to 65% in 2001.