Describe the internal structure of kidney with the help of diagrams.
A. 1) L.S. of kidney shows two distinct regions. Dark coloured outer zone called cortex and pale coloured inner zone called medulla.
2) Each kidney is made up of approximately more than one million (1.3 to 1.8 million) microscopic and thin tubular functioned units called nephrons or uriniferous tubules.
afferent arteriole efferent arteriole Bowman’s capsule ^ first convoluted tubule
f-, second convoluted tubule
3) Each nephron has basically two parts. One is malphigian body and other is renal tubule.
4) Malpighian body consists of a blind cup shaped broader end of nephron called Bowman’s capsule and bunch of fine blood capillaries called glomerulus.
5) Glomerulus develops from afferent arteriole and it gives to rise to an efferent
6) Glomerulus functions as a filtration unit.
7) Renal tubule has three parts. They are 1) Proximal convoluted tubule 2) Loop of Henle which is ‘U’ shaped and 3) Distal convoluted tubule (DCT).
8) In tubule part reabsorption and secretion takes place. Urine.is formed in the renal tubule part of nephron.
9) Distal convoluted tubules open into a collecting tube.
10) Collecting tube forms pyramids and calyces which open into the pelvis.
11) Pelvis leads into the ureter.