Describe the digestion of food in the stomach.?
1) The stomach is a large organ whichexpands when food enters it.
2) The muscular walls of the stomach help in mixing the food thoroughly with more digestive juices.
3) The gastric glands present in the wall of .the stomach secrete gastric juice which contains hydrochloric acid, pepsin and mucus.
4) The hydrochloric acid facilitates the action of the enzyme pepsin and also kills the germs present in the food.
5) The enzyme pepsin digests proteins and mucus protects the inner lining of the stomach from the action of the acid under normal conditions.