Describe the digestion of food in the stomach.?
- The stomach is a large organ whichexpands when food enters it.
- The muscular walls of the stomach help in mixing the food thoroughly with more digestive juices.
- The gastric glands present in the wall of .the stomach secrete gastric juice which contains hydrochloric acid, pepsin and mucus.
- The hydrochloric acid facilitates the action of the enzyme pepsin and also kills the germs present in the food.
- The enzyme pepsin digests proteins and mucus protects the inner lining of the stomach from the action of the acid under normal conditions.